Sunday, February 27, 2011

Solar System Glogster Project


I am not particularly crafty and I do not have a great eye for putting things together visually. I cannot draw, and I’ve never been into the whole scrapbooking phenomenon. I know what I like when I see it, but cannot always put it all together so that it is visually satisfying for me.  Glogster verified that even digitally, I don’t quite have a knack for the visual presentation☹ That being said, I think that what I did put together will still be an exciting opener, and will add a twist to our 6th grade solar system research lesson later this school year.



The 6th grade Massachusetts Science and Technology/Engineering and English Language Arts Learning Standards addressed in this unit include:
  • Science Learning Standard 10-- Compare and contrast properties and conditions of objects in the solar system (i.e., sun, planets, and moons) to those on Earth (i.e., gravitational force, distance from the sun, speed, movement, temperature, and atmospheric conditions).
  • ELA Learning Standard19.16-- Write brief research reports with clear focus and supporting detail.
  • ELA Learning Standard 24.3-- Apply steps for obtaining information from a variety of sources, organizing information, documenting sources, and presenting research in individual and group projects: use an expanded range of print and non-print sources; locate specific information within resources by using indexes, tables of contents, electronic search key words; organize and present research
Because Glogster does not work very effectively through our building’s wireless system, my plan is to reserve the computer lab for science class for 5 consecutive days.  Our first day would be a whole group presentation and individual exploration of the Solar System Glog that I designed as an overview.  My students will access the Glog through their class assignments on Discovery Education (also available through this link: Solar System Project) so that they will already be logged in and the animations will open on one click.  After pointing out some of the features of this Glog, and modeling how to access the audio, video, and hyperlinks, I would point out that at the bottom of the Glogster there is a link back to the assignment.  Because I want the students to take some time exploring the wonder of Glogster, I am going to ask them to avoid going to the assignment page for at least 20 minutes and just enjoy the brief animations and video segments.

After approximately 20 minutes we will go to the assignment link together.  That way I can answer questions and help students weed through a large list of resources for which individually they will probably only need about two or three. Any time left in that first day will be for students to continue exploring the Glog and to choose their topic. 

By the next day they need to have chosen a topic and decided to do either a Glog or a poster to present their research.  While I want to encourage students to use Glogster, I know that some students will be more comfortable using a traditional poster to show what they learn from their research.  Also, because some students will access Glogster from home, I want students who are just as enthused about the research and presentation of their chosen topic, but who do not have internet access from home to have another option.

Sample Note-Taking Guide
The second day in the computer lab will allow students to view the associated videos and to use the Custom Google Search to do their research on their chosen topics. To guide their research for their solar system object/topic, I will give them a note-taking sheet to help them gather up the “must-have” information. 


The third and fourth days in the lab will be for students to construct their individual Glogs or posters.  They can compose text, and locate images or any other media they might feel inspired to utilize.

The fifth day will be presentation day. Students will publish their Glogs, or hang up their posters for a museum walk. Students will have a note-taking chart as they view the work of their peers, and we will all discuss which planet we would like to visit, and why, based on the persuasive elements used in the Glog or poster.

I think that once students become familiar with Glogster, it becomes another medium for students to show what they know and also to express themselves creatively.  In the same way that I would be horrified if I were required to share my knowledge about strategies for co-teaching by singing a song, many of my students are horrified that they have to show their understanding of a subject by writing an essay, or by drawing a picture, or by orally presenting.  Trust me--you would be miserable if you had to listen to me singing my knowledge, and I am often disappointed by the products that my students are required to produce. I have to remember that they are often not working in their best medium.  In addition to introducing and providing practice with new tools that we can add to the project menu, it is important for me to continue to offer students choices.

Massachusetts English Language Arts Curriculum Framework, June 2001, pp. 73 & 88.
Massachusetts Science and Technology/Engineering Curriculum Framework, October 2006 p.33.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa- I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I think your glogster is great. You have compiled some fabulous resources for your students. I would also like to know how you created the custom google search. I really liked that piece of the research. Thanks so much for doing this. I hope other classes will use it as well. - Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. solar movies sc

    ReplyDelete