Sunday, March 3, 2013

Week 6 Reflection--Planning for Inquiry


This week we were exposed to 2 lesson planning systems.  The first is a format that I am actually required to use which is backward design planning.  The planning template from Wiggins and McTighe is explained in an Understanding by Design presentation handout.

Newer for me was the 5E Instructional Model developed by the Biological Science Curriculum Study (BSCS).  Initially it looked simple.  It was shown in our Topic B course handouts as an uncomplicated graphic organizer.

Most of us addressed each component in a linear format for our first discussion.  From the model, I understood that we were supposed to connect everything to the evaluation of our overarching concept.  Either as part of the other Es, or after each E it would be important to have some way to formatively assess, or summatively assess, student learning.

For the second discussion, we were to combine what we learned about backward design and the 5E Instructional model with a Conceptual Flow Graphic. This is where it all fell apart for me.  We were provided with the following example and a blank pdf template.


Many of my classmates had difficulty with this model too, but for a different reason.  There were students who commented on having difficulty manipulating the template. I was fine annotating the blank template and adding my own text.  My bigger issue was with the flow graphic and all of the arrows, combined with text.

My instructional plans are for me to follow, but they are also designed to communicate a plan for learning to the various school districts my students are from, to my instructional aides, and to my principal and program director.  I think that it would also be very hard for me to use this planning system to communicate to a substitute teacher.  

That being said, the exercise was a good one for me.  It forced me to think about subject matter in a new way, and it reminded me to be flexible with my students.  Just as it was uncomfortable, slow, and frustrating for me to think and learn in this assigned format, my students may find the structures that I impose on them to be out of line with their thinking and learning styles.  It is important for me to watch and listen to my students.  They are young and may not be able to articulate yet how they make sense out of new information, or how they learn best.

We also had the opportunity to infuse technology; more specifically web 2.0 tools, into the 5Es.  This task was very enjoyable for me. I especially like reading the different ways my classmates use these tools since they always think of a way to use a familiar tool like Prezi that I had never considered.

I guess that after this week’s lessons about planning for inquiry, I would want to know if I can stick with my original backward design planning template and address the 5Es within that format, or do I have to use the Conceptual Flow Graphic model of the 5Es to plan inquiry based lessons?

Johnson, K. (2013). Unit 6 Designing Lessons that are Inquiry Based-Introduction. [Course Handout]. Wilkes, Pennsylvania: Wilkes University.

Johnson, K. (2013). Topic B: The 5E-An Instructional Model. [Course Handout]. Wilkes, Pennsylvania: Wilkes University.

Johnson, K. (2013). Topic C: Lesson Plan Development. [Course Handout]. Wilkes, Pennsylvania: Wilkes University.

Wiggins, G. (2005). Understanding by Design. Available from: http://www.grantwiggins.org/documents/UbDQuikvue1005.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment