Friday, December 7, 2012

You.com

http://about.me/melissa_sommer

Initially, I was not thrilled about opening up yet another site and trying to link all of my separate items and identities together. I kind of like having the Blog as evidence of learning from the Wilkes Instructional Media program, Facebook as my social networking presence, LinkedIn as a professional networking presences, and Twitter for following my son’s and husband’s hockey teams. As I perused a few examples of digital portfolios however, my stance softened.

I looked through all of the recommended sites for this assignment and continually returned to the about.me site. It was simple to use, I liked the layout options, and I thought that it would very easy to personalize. I added my Blogger, LinkedIn and Twitter app connections, and also added a couple links that I thought would highlight my work and my professional interests.

I also added my Facebook app, but took it down within a few hours. As soon as I added the Facebook and LinkedIn apps, about.me posted a link and an announcement about my page on each of those sites. I did not mind that the about.me site linked me on LinkedIn, but I really do not want all of my acquaintances on Facebook connecting with me through any other sites without a specific invite from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment